My Competence and Abilities




Our society would not be able to function as it does without the work of civil engineers. The infrastructure that they help to build and maintain can benefit communities and individuals for generations. For me this simple statement sums up what it is to be a civil engineer, a professional who has the opportunity to work on projects that not only change our physical surroundings but also at the same time improve the lives of literally millions of people.

Engineers more than anyone else have the opportunity to shape and manipulate the world we live in. I aspire to become one of these people and work on large scale technically demanding projects that build the ‘life support systems’ of modern communities. As I have always been interested in environmental sustainability issues I would ideally like to be able to use my experience and professionalism as a qualified engineer to safely deliver carbon neutral, sustainable, high quality construction projects on time and within budget.

Ever since I was a teenager I have always been fascinated with buildings and putting things together, although this is not the only reason for my wanting to become an engineer. Unlike other professions as a civil engineer I will get the opportunity to be intimately involved in construction projects. Added to this is the intense feeling of satisfaction I will get from firstly being able to physically see the fruits of my labour and secondly from leaving behind a legacy that really benefits society.

Such is my interest in this field and desire to learn more that at university I would read above and beyond the course material I was given. I wanted to gain a comprehensive view and understanding of the subject matter, so that I would have as much information as possible to make an informed decision about this field as a possible future career. All the extra studying and hard work has paid off and I am proud to state that I now have a sound understanding of the theoretical principles which underlie Civil Engineering, particularly in relation to densely populated and economically disparate urban settings.

I possess a strong desire to change our surroundings and improve the everyday lives of people. I am also passionate about being involved in projects through each stage from feasibility to design and implementation. I sincerely hope that these last two sentences demonstrate to your my passion for engineering.

My under graduation degree is in Civil Engineering. I choose the field of civil engineering because I wanted to explore and study the inner details of the structure, also my academic strengths was mathematics and I enjoyed doing civil engineering as the most of the subjects was dealt with calculation and structural concepts. I like studying at the university because of the professors were very cooperative. They give me understanding that how the difficult technical data can be easily understood which really helped me a lot when I start doing my job after the degree. I gain confidence in my university time as I always feel it difficult before my degree to be confident in myself.

Currently I am working in Summit Alliance Port Limited as project engineer. As a project engineer below are some responsibilities in this organization.
  • Designs construction projects by studying project concept, architectural drawings, and models.
  • Prepares engineering design by collecting and studying reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photographs and tests on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and related topographical and geologic data.
  • Determines project costs by calculating labor, material, and related costs.
  • Prepares feasibility study by analyzing engineering design; conducting environmental impact studies; assembling data.
  • Prepares engineering documents by developing construction specifications, plans, and schedules.
  • Confirms adherence to construction specifications and safety standards by monitoring project progress; inspecting construction site; verifying calculations and placements.
  • Fulfills project requirements by training and guiding operators.
  • Maintains operations by enforcing project and operational policies and procedures.
  • Provides engineering information by answering questions and requests.
  • Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
  • Maintains project data base by writing computer programs; entering data; completing backups.
  • Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
And I believe I am fulfilling all my responsibilities successfully and cordially.


Throughout my career I am gaining more and more responsibility. I am able to manage a number of different characters, contractors and my subordinates. I know how to motivate my team and utilize their strengths. I also know how to discipline someone professionally and to give due credit when it’s deserved.

Like other engineers I have sound analytical skills and is continually examining projects and thinking of ways to make things work better. I am naturally inquisitive and always like to solve complex problems instead of being afraid avoiding them.

A skilled civil engineer should have a high level of Mathematics and Physics that allow for identifying and solving engineering problems. Likewise other engineers I have enough knowledge in mechanics, mathematics and physics. I always accurately work out each minute detail of any infrastructure including the weight that should be distributed through a bridge. I also skilled in design techniques and working with maps, drawings and models, blueprints as well as CAD software. I am able to predict any possible future problems and find solutions in order to prevent them.

I have sound knowledge in design and drawing. I am able to use various design software like AutoCAD, ETABS, SAP2000, Grasp, Staad Pro and many more. I have enough IT knowledge which helps me to understand various operating systems and programming.

Communication skills are essential in any job role, but when it comes to engineering they must be able to clearly communicate ideas and give direction leaving no ambiguity.  I am able to communicate with my superior, client, higher and top management as well as my vendors, contractors and my subordinates. I also able to listen and benefit from the ideas of others in the team.

As I am ultimately in charge of surveyors, construction managers, technicians, contractors, architects, urban planners, transportation engineers as well as maintaining the trust of governmental planning authorities. I am able to successfully lead all members of my team and able to keep a project on time and budget.

As a civil engineer I often confronted with challenging problems. I am able to devise the most effective and reasonable approach when dealing with them. I have the ability to think fast but precisely in order to apply general rules to specific problems and to solve them. To develop and implement new projects, I have the ability to ‘think outside of the box’ which is an essential skill for civil engineers.

I am able to bring others together and reconcile differences, as well as able to negotiate deals with suppliers to reduce the cost of my project. Every small part of designing and implementing infrastructure needs to be precise. My another ability is having great attention to detail, which helps me in detailing of planning & drawing.

Nothing is plain sailing, problem-solving is used on a daily basis in the construction industry. I had to deal with unexpected problems like burst water pipes. I have the ability of getting all members involved to help and solve the problem in a timely manner.

One of the most important characteristics that will make one not only a better professional but also driven is a never-ending spirit for learning. It’s important to continue learning and expanding your knowledge while new methods develop. From the beginning of my career I have a strong passion for learning. Still I am learning new thing and developing my knowledge and skills.


In Summary below are my key aptitude and personal characteristics:

·        Sound academic background.

·        Strong interpersonal, Sound communication skills.

·        Ready to accept challenge in my relevant field.

·        Hard working and sincere.

·        Able to work as a part of team and individually.

·        Dedicated and success oriented.

·        Confident, honest and self-motivated.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

টাইলস নিয়ে সব সমস্যার সমাধান

Protected health information

Clixsense